Solutions - Enterprise Application Performance Management
THE PRACTICAL REALTIME & INSIGHTFUL APPLICATION PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT (APM)
JENNIFER Product Summary
APPLICATION PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT (APM)
Application Performance Management (APM) is a process of developing a progressive system that
1) effectively monitors the availability of enterprise applications, 2) identifies and resolves the application performance problems and 3) predicts/ prevents future application performance problems, considering the limit and potential of the resources available to an organization`s IT infrastructure and it`s supporting systems. Unlike the traditional system management (SMS and NMS), APM enhances the organization`s ability to manage the enterprise application services and resolve application performance problems, resulting in reduced Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and enhanced customer service.
Jennifer is the Application Performance Management (APM) solution developed by JenniferSoft Inc. JENNIFER provides total application performance management and operational support services for enterprise web system, performing tasks such as real-time resource and service monitoring, immediate performance problem diagnosis and effective performance problem resolution.
JENNIFER KEY FEATURE
• Comprehensive Dashboard
• Real-Time Resource/ Service Monitoring
• Performance Problem Diagnosis and Resolution
• Application Tracing and Tuning
• Statistical Analysis and Reporting on the Performance Data.
REALTIME & INSIGHT
JENNIFER enables user to intuitively analyze the performance of individual service transactions and all performance problems in real-time and displays the data in its visually powerful dashboard to provide Insight into the system`s health.
Each performance data displayed in JENNIFER dashboard is well-organized in relation to each other to maximize user`s ability to absorb the information and gain intuitive understanding and insight on the system status.
JENNIFER COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE
Each detail in JENNIFER`s design was chosen with high consideration that they add intrinsic value to the user experience, whether it`s adding a new feature, choosing placement of a module or selecting a color of the graphics. Because of this attention-to-detail, JENNIFER is assessed to be the most practical APM solution available in the market.
• REAL-TIME & INSIGHT Monitoring
• Response time scatter graph (X-View)
• Integrated Enterprise Performance Management
• Easy & POWERFUL
JENNIFER`s UNIQUE FEATURES
• Dynamic Profiling Configuration
• Dynamic Stack Trace Capability
• Active Profiling Capability
• Monitoring and Management per Domain
• Extended Monitoring Adaptor
• Real-Time Combined Log Monitoring
JENNIFER CORE FEATURES
• Real-Time Thoughput/ Service Monitoring
• Performance Problem Diagnosis
• Root Cause Analysis
• Response Time Scatter Graph (X-View)
• Individual Transaction Profiling
• External Resource Monitoring (CTG, Jolt, WebT, WTC)
• Ground Data for Application / SQL Query Tuning
• Memory Leak Detection and Tracking
• Application Error Detection and Analysis
• Peak Service Load Control Capability (PLC)
• User Customizable Dashboard (Drag & Drop Feature)
• System/ WAS Resource Monitoring
• User Customizable Reporting System with Templates
JENNIFER Dynamic Monitoring
In Application Performance Management the concept of enterprise performance monitoring is classified into two parts: Service Monitoring and Resource Monitoring
When monitoring the status of the application services, it is important to retrieve the performance data in real-time and grasp the mutual relationship between each service transaction. A delay in transaction response time may have originated from not just that transaction - but from a combination of all transaction`s resource bottleneck. JENNIFER provides following features in service monitoring:
• Concurrent User
• Active Service
• TPS, Arrival - and Service Rate
• Real-Time Transaction Response Time
• Application Naming Dynamic Substitution
• SQL Query Tracing (Including BIND Variable)
• Transaction Profiling (Class/Method Level)
• HTTP POST Request KEY/ VALUE Tracking
Resource monitoring includes managing the physical and logical resources used in running an application service. JENNIFER provides following features in resource monitoring.
• JDBC Connection Pool Status
• JVM CPU Usage (KERNEL/USER/IO)
• JVM Heap Memory Usage
• FILE Read/Write Status
• TCP/IP SOCKET INPUT/OUTPUT Tracking
• Collection/Live Object Count
• Status of WAS Resource Used by JMX
Analysis of Performance Data
The performance problem in a web system can be categorized into two types: 1) conditional performance problems caused by anomalous circumstances or 2) relative performance problems caused by an increase in load and throughput that is more than the amount system can handle. JENNIFER possesses various types of data collection and analysis modules for detecting all types of performance problems.
• Memory Leak Detection
• Java Collection/Live Object, Application Tracing
• JDBC Connection/Statement/ResultSet Tracing
• JDBC Transaction (commit/rollback) Tracing
• Application Exception Tracing
• SQL, SQL Exception Tracing
• Dump on Running Service
• HTTP Session Dump Capability
• Reporting Loading Class Hierarchy Analysis
• Loaded Class Bytecode Deassembling
Real-time Active Service Monitoring
JENNIFER illustrates active service runtime in different colors and displays it via the equalizer graph in real time.
JENNIFER transmits the performance data through reverse-direction protocol that connects from JENNIFER Server to JENNIFER Agent whenever user requests for the data. Using this method, JENNIFER can extract the snapshot information of the running active services. Active service data shown in JENNIFER is not a summarized data of events that occurred in the past but the real-time data concerning active services.
Response Time Scatter Graph (X-View)
JENNIFER’s response time scatter graph, also known as X-View, presents the response time of all service transactions as plots in a scatter graph. The vertical axis is the response time of an individual transaction and the horizontal axis is the end time of each transaction’s runtime.
Using the X-View, user can not only detect the delay in response time for the specific transaction(s) but also the root-cause behind the delay in the response time. The plots may form different patterns in X-View (see above screenshots) that user can use to identify or predict the performance problem. The X-View is a powerful and intuitive tool that is more useful than using many line graphs combined.
JENNIFER X-View / High Level Transaction ProfilingWithin the X-View, select one or more plots using the drag &drop feature with the mouse to see the specific details about the selected transactions such as Method Call Path, SQL, File/Socket and others. When plot(s) is selected, a separate pop-up screen with the individual transaction information (X-View) appears.
The X-View displays the detailed information in following areas: 1) SQL queries, 2) External system and interface (including Legacy) , 3) accessed files and sockets, and 4) Tier and Layer high-level class/method profiling information.
JENNIFER – BUSINESS AND ALERT GROUPS
A dynamic graphical summary view of alarms allows direct selection of critical alarms in your environment. A mouse click opens the filtered list of alarms to get a first overview. Next click opens an associated tool to find the problem as fast as possible.
JENNIFER Unique Features
JENNIFER can register additional package, class, method and/or activate/deactivate transaction profiling without restarting the web application server.
The traditional method for extracting Java Full StackTrace is intentionally causing an exception/error for an application resource and outputting it onto the stacktrace; JENNIFER can register a class/method during operation, allowing dynamic full stacktrace of additional class/method without changing the application source code.
Monitoring per Domain
In a large scale of enterprise environment, many different business systems may exist, triggering a need for a solution that individually monitors each business system under integrated one view. JENNIFER provides performance management capability per domain that allows the user to allocate multiple business systems into different domain and manage each system under one umbrella.
Extended Monitoring Adaptor
JENNIFER extracts the performance data from web application server and communication between WAS and other system devices. JENNIFER features Extended Monitoring Adaptors Functionality (EMAF) that allows performance data from other system devices to be extracted and inputted into JENNIFER for analysis and reporting. Broadly, JENNIFER offers 3 types of Extended Monitoring Adaptor Functionality.
• REMON: JENNIFER supports user-customizable extended adapter written in shell script, java, c-library, Telnet, SSH, SQL Query, and others.
• ExtraAgent: ExtraAgent is imbedded in WAS interface and communicates directly with REMON (Extended Monitoring Adaptor).
• LogWatcher : LogWatcher extracts the data from various formats of user log files and provides real-time analysis, monitoring, and alert services.
Application / SQL Query Tuning
The response time of executed queries can be traced without affecting the system performance. The relative connection between SQL Query and application that used it, and the proportion of response time spent on SQL over the total response time of the application can be viewed and analyzed via JENNIFER.
• Dynamic Class / Method Level Profiling
• SQL Query Tracing (Including BIND Variable)
• Method Parameter/Return Key Value Tracing
• Backend Transaction Tracing (CTG, WebT, TC/Jolt)
• TOP 10 Application and SQL
• File/Socket Connection Tracing
Automatic Alert System
JENNIFER has classified many different error types that can exist in application which negatively affects the system performance. Error/Exception is grouped into “Critical”, “Error”, and “Warning” and managed by date/time. User can also add a new error/exception type using extension adaptor.
JENNIFER Statistical Analysis and Reporting
Statistical Analysis and Reporting
Statistical Analysis of Services
JENNIFER can show the quantified statistical data such as visitor count, response time, resource usage, and other performance/business data concerning the service transactions.
User Customizable Reports
JENNIFER can store the performance data into the DB and show the data in customizable reports. The report templates for commonly used performance/ business reports are also available.
Report scheduler allows user to generate periodic (daily/weekly/monthly) reports automatically.
1) JENNIFER AGENT
Installed in each web application server, JENNIFER Agent collects the performance data and transmits them to JENNIFER Server.
2) JENNIFER SERVER
JENNIFER Server receives the performance data from JENNIFER Agent then processes and displays them in JENNIFER Control dashboard for managing statistical data and alerting the problem and error, etc.
3) JENNIFER REPOSITORY
Data processed by JENNIFER Server is stored in DB File system (JENNIFER Repository) and JENNIFER retrieves data necessary for system performance analysis from there.
4) JENNIFER CLIENT CONSOLE
JENNIFER Client console uses java applet and web browser and does not require installation of client. Thus, user can access JENNIFER client from any internet enabled computer.
JENIFER continues to concentrate on its domain over application/service performance management of WAS/Java EE environment. JenniferSoft resumes quest for creating the most practical and user-friendly APM solution as we focus on our core concept of THE PRACTICAL, REAL TIME and INSIGHT.
Along with JENNIFER 4.0, JenniferSoft also launched ECCLUS, next-generation interface for the APM solution that utilizes latest 3D graphic rendering technology.
• AIX 4.3.3, 5.x 32bit, 64bit
• HP-UX 11.x 32bit, 64bit, Itanium 64bit
• Sun Solaris2.8, 2.9, 10 32bit, 64bit,x68
• Intel Linux 32bit, Redhat Itanium 64bit
• Compaq Tru64 UNIX OSF1
• Microsoft Windows 2000,XP,2003,Vista
• IBM iSeries(AS400) for WebSphere
• IBM z/OS for WebSphere, zLinux
WEB APPLICATION SERVERS
• BEA WebLogic 5.1, 6.x, 8.x, 9.x
• IBM WebSphere Application Server3.5, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x
• Tmaxsoft JEUS 3.x, 4.x , 5.x
• Oracle Application Server 9iAS, 10gAS, OC4J, ERP
• SUN Application Server 7.x, 8.x
• Fujitsu Interstage 5.x, 6.x, 7.x
• Hitachi Cosminexus 7
• Sybase EAServer 4.x, 5.x
• Macromedia JRun 4.x
• Apache Jakarta Tomcat 3.x, 4.x, 5.x
• Caucho Technology Resin 2.x, 3.x
• RedHat JBoss Application Server 3.x, 4.x
• Apache JServ